View Single Post
Old 09-14-2014, 02:53 PM
Control Freak

The vacuum to drive the climate control pods comes from the auxiliary tap on the vacuum pump. It is a green hose that goes back along the left side of the engine, past the brake booster, into a grommet in the firewall. This pops out behind the instrument cluster and goes to the right across the center console.

If you remove the glove box you will find a thing that looks like a harmonica. It has the green hose entering the end and seven multi colored hoses leaving along the length. This is the valve assembly that is driven by the CCU that switches the vacuum to the various pods.

There are a couple things that will cause "default" mode.
- Loss of vacuum to the "harmonica". All the pods are set up to default with no vacuum to be open or shut such that everything goes to defrost mode.
- Loss of electrical power to the CCU via Fuse 7 (or the failure of the CCU itself) will cause the harmonica valves to default everything to defrost mode. Also the fan control loses its reference so it goes to max air flow. And the mono valve loses its control voltage and falls open so you get max heat.
- The "harmonica" block has been known to fail. Jeremy5848 had this happen to him. He cracked it open and found cold solder joints. You can also find one at the junk yard, every 124 and 2nd gen (post 1986) 126 uses this block.

Chapter 83 in the FSM has the climate control troubleshooting procedure. It calls for a special breakout box to help test the sensors and harmonica valves, but if you have a copy of the wiring diagram you can read between the lines in the procedure and measure across the right pins in the harness with your meter.

First thing I would do is check fuse 7. Remove it and make sure there is not a micro crack in the element. That tripped me up about a year ago.

Next I would pop the glove box and put a MityVac on the green line coming from the engine, do you have vacuum? (No MityVac? It should suck hard enough you can feel it with your finger tip.)
2013 E350 Bluetec (my DD)

both my kids cars went to junkyard in 2023
2008 ML320 CDI (Older son’s DD) fatal transmission failure, water soaked/fried rear SAM, numerous other issues, just too far gone to save (165k miles)
2008 E320 Bluetec (Younger son's DD) injector failed open and diluted oil with diesel, spun main bearings (240k miles)

1998 E300DT sold to TimFreeh
1987 300TD sold to vstech