Thread: Ant abatement
View Single Post
Old 09-18-2014, 03:35 PM
Renaissances Dude

Ant abatement

For me and all the rest in the great state of Cahleefornya, it's the tiny Argentine ants that have taken over the ant franchise. I was afraid this would happen - wonder ant killer Terro Liquid Ant Bates is losing effectiveness. Happened a few years ago with Grants Ants - the little ant hotel things with a block of sugared gelatin imbued with arsenic inside. All of a sudden ants quit going for it. Had been super effective for years previous.

The Terro liquid bates are not the big draw they were not long ago. I've gotten a tad lazy as they were so effective and keeping the things away. Now, if I toss an empty cat food can in the recycling bin, the ants find it and go for gravy residue. Like drugs for them.

The Terro baits use boric acid for the death thing. Part of why they're so effective. Not highly toxic for people, it's slow death by dehydration for the ants so they have time to take it back and feed it to the queen.

My big idea now is to make my own ant killer with boric acid and cat food gravy. Will research.