View Single Post
Old 09-20-2014, 10:38 AM

Update Strange vibration-heat from rear wheel

Hello, long time listener, first time caller. I posed this on the BenzWorld 123 forum but wanted to get a wider variety of input. For my 1984 300D I am investigating the cause of unusual noise, vibration and heat generation from my right rear wheel at hi-way speeds. It's intermittent, only occurring twice, once in June and once last week. Yesterday I jacked up & blocked up both rears and removed the tire, caliper, disc/drum, etc. and inspected everything, including the axle shafts and shock and essentially found nothing out of the ordinary so I put it all back together.

One thing of concern is that (in park, with both rears off the ground) both wheels turned fairly easily (and in the opposite direction) until I snugged the lug nuts for the right tire. At that point, I had to grab the O.D. of each tire with both hands to move it. I loosened the right side lug nuts a little and both sides spun freely again.

With both tires fully tightened, I placed it in neutral and the left spun very easily but the right was still very difficult to spin. Is this normal or is there a clearance issue in my right hub? If so, this could very well be the source of the noise, vibration and heat.

To eliminate the right rim, I installed the spare tire Bundt rim on the right side and it reacted the same. I even tried loosening and tightening the LEFT SIDE tire and it did not affect rolling resistance as the right one did.

When both rims are tightened down is there supposed to be that much more resistance in spinning the wheels than with the right tire loose?

Thanks for anything you can reveal about how this rear end works and what is "normal" for rolling these tires by hand.

Respectfully,
Earl Alllen
1982 240D daily driver
1984 300D new daily driver