View Single Post
Old 09-20-2014, 03:59 PM
Renaissances Dude

Rod knock in my 300 SD

This is an old issue. My car has sat for some time waiting for me to fix it.

I let the oil level go down to the lowest level, the add line, once or twice. Not smart but what made it a real problem is that the rubber neck thing attached to the steel oil port in the crankcase, the rubber neck that went down to the bottom of the crankcase had a tear about 3/4ths the way around at the point it attached to the steel pipe. This I found out later. I had been working in the Oakland hills for weeks before the problem and spent much time powering up steep hills. My guess is the angle and the torn rubber neck deprived my engine of oil.

So what I'm wondering, if I can determine that compression is acceptable, would it be possible to change rod bearings, etc. from below w/o taking the heads off? Would eliminate a good deal of complexity. The engine would still need to be pulled of course. I'm not that stupid.

This engine ran pretty well before the incident. The death symptom was a loud rod knock. Doesn't mean that oil starvation caused no damage above in the piston/rings area I realize. I was running bio-diesel during most of this and I gather that it's good lubrication so maybe the valves and rings were spared.