View Single Post
Old 10-17-2014, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike-81-240d View Post
Interesting. Now there is conflicting data on the 617 delivery valve seals. There are old threads on replacing them...
I am not sure what is conflicting.
The MW Fuel Injection Pumps have only the Copper Crush Washers. When I look in the Parts List they have specific sizes depending on which Pump Number you have. If one of more of the Crush Washers is leaking then it can cause the Idle Shaking you are speaking of but it is rare for them to leak if they are installed properly and the correct Crushwashers for your Fuel Injection Pump are used.

I don't know if they Crush Washer Number you were given is correct as I have never even taken the time to look them up for My own Fule Injection Pump using the Numbers on the Fuel Injection Number Plate.

If you have an M Type Fuel Injection Pump it will have Crush Washers and O-rings. On them when the O-rings leak it can cause the Idle Shaking you are having.
A lot of 240Ds had M Type Pumps as well as some Euro non-turbo 617s.

When I worked in a Fuel Injection Shop and inspected the Delivery Valves it is very similar to a Valve and Seat in your Cylinder Head (the Central Valve and outer Body of the Valve are a mated set).

I inspected the seating areas on both parts of the Delivery Valve. If they were slighly worn we had some like 1200 or 1600 grit lapping Compound ready mixed in some sort of thing Grease. I took a Tooth Pick and carefully applied the Compund to the wear/seating araa only and I turned the valve by hand and lapped it.
If I did not get it to seat well then the Delivery Valve was replaced.

When you do that you only want the laping Comppound to get onto the seating area you don't want it inside of the Valve Body.

That being said I have never looked at mine on the Mercedes and have no idea what condition they are in.

I also have not seen anyone post any pics of bad Delivery Valves.