View Single Post
Old 11-03-2014, 04:30 PM

Feel the inside of all fender lips and see if there is a flat spot. This was done from the factory for clearance issues, but I'm not sure all cars had this. A Mercedes tech sheet on how to install an AMG kit talks of flattening the inner fender area.

My 97 SL320 Sport came from the factory with AMG Monoblock "thick" spoke wheels that I have painted body color ( 702 Smoke Silver ) This wheel style adds a solid look to the car and body color gives less of a jarring transition than argent or AMG gray.

My sizes are:
Fronts are 245 40 18 on 8 x 18 ET 31 ( 5 3/4" calculated Back spacing )

Rears are 275 35 18 on 9 x 18 ET 35 ( backspacing 6 3/8" )

1998 and up had 8 1/2 and 9 1/2 but I don't have any measurements.

On the front of mine the inner portion of the tire is nearly rubbing the strut, in the rear about 1/2" of width could be added inward. I haven't measured tire to fender but being later cars got 1/2" of width I'd say mine aren't close to rubbing. All 4 of my inner fender lips have a portion flattened from factory for tire clearance.

The thick spoke AMG Monoblocks came in wheel sizes from 7 x 15 on mid 90's C 280 Sport, I think 16 on something and 17 for sure are floating around as well.

Given the wheels on my car, most any 16" would probably fit fine as long as the ET / back spacing is close.

Have a look at car-part.com select a year then wheel with image. Also have a look here to find something you like Wheel Collision Center Bath PA- Excellence in Refinished/Used Factory OEM Aluminum Alloy Wheel Rim Sales & Alloy Wheel Rim Straightening Repair Refinishing & Recycling! - www.oemfactoryrimwheel.com Excellence in Refinished/Used Factory OEM Aluminum A