View Single Post
Old 11-04-2014, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooljjay View Post
Check your thrust bearing....very possible it wore down, and the gear came off the oil pump shaft, thus killing oil circulation....thus boom...

Something new I just found out about on my 78, research says...this is a very common failer that most aren't aware of....it would start with weak pressure...
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsharp8256 View Post
This is pretty much my worst fear. My 220d is rough for now, but out of all my cars it's my absolute favorite and I drive it every day. Fortunately, my oil pressure gauge is consistently pegged and only drops on the hottest days or going to idle after interstate speeds--and even then never below 30psi. Hope you can find out what it was, source an engine, and get it back on the road ASAP!
Ever since hearing of this with that 300D, I have also become concerned about that oil pump bushing on my old 220D. The motor has run well for the 30k miles I have put on the vehicle, but the oil pressure has always been towards the low side (pegged when cold or over 2000rpm, but ~15psi at hot idle). While that's still plenty to lubricate the engine, I don't think the worn bearings in the bottom end would be able to afford any lack of lubrication from oil pump problems at this point.

Any thoughts on to how much that oil pump thrust bushing would cost at the dealer?