View Single Post
Old 11-12-2014, 02:54 PM

Lucas said he would avoid using air...
let me say that with a little more emphasis...

On a diesel... due to how close the piston gets to the valves ... there is NO reason to use air to keep the valves in place while doing work on the valve stems. The valves can rest on the top of the piston while springs, rotators, valve stem seals are addressed.

and it introduces DANGER which Lucas mentioned.... not only the possibility of causing the engine to turn fast at a point you are not expecting it to...catching a finger in a belt or fan blade.... as Vstech has warned about also...

Air can be used to check blowby... but that should be done with the piston at the bottom of its travel..... but even that allows the possibility that a head gasket leak will allow pressure to get to an adjacent cylinder...

I had not even thought about the fact that an accidental movement of the crank MIGHT BE IN THE WRONG DIRECTION..... which can mean a skipped sprocket on the Injection pump... The FSM says do not turn the engine backwards ( except for a short distance which I probably should not even mention )....