View Single Post
Old 02-07-2003, 04:46 PM

C280 CD PLAYER

The '94 C280's CD player wiring is the same as my '95's and is not fiber optic. That came later. Perhaps when the V-6 came into use in that model.

Also, do not compare this installation with the W201 or W124 technical requirements. The W201 and early W124 radios have no CD buttons on their faceplates. Further, do not even think of using the type that plays through the antenna lead when the radio is tuned to a certain FM frequency. I installed one of these in my '89 190E 2.6, another Sony,
and it was vastly inferior to the hardwired later version. Lots of white noise in the background.

The Sony CD player model number was CHM-S600. I paid 294.00 plus tax and shipping for a total of $304.50 on 5/11/95.
I purchased it by mailorder from SBH Enterprises in Brooklyn which is one of those outfits that advertise in the back of Road & Track and Car & Driver and others. Their number at the time was 800-451-5851.

I did not use a plug adaptor (became available later) so my alarm installation guy just cut the plugs off the cables and spliced them together. Probably color for color. The adaptor would be better of course.

What more can I tell you?

Roger Ellingson/Seattle/'01 C320 with another Alpine CD player, not so cheap this time.