View Single Post
Old 11-13-2014, 08:44 PM

and now it's really broken.

It seemed like a good idea to solder the 2 green wire ends together inside the distributor.... Both green, why not I thought. That condenser surely must be connected? Mind you, the car ran just fine, all I wanted to do was install the spring for the centrifugal advance or whatever it is, back. It fell inside the distributor and caused the trigger points to not trigger and caused the main issue that started the thread..

Anyway, so I installed that spring and then soldered a bit of wire to connect the 2 green end bits. Used shrink tubing to make sure there were no shorts possible. Anyway, tried starting it and heard a bit of a "pop" and after that nothing happens anymore when trying to start. one small explosion in the exhaust, that was it.. I guess I fried the computer or so. I undid the soldering so now the condensator is not attached anymore. Everything is like it was before (when it ran) only the spring has been put back in place. But the car is dead. nothing at all. I'm so bummed out, I have 3 full weeks of work in it and I'm about to give up. Any input highly appreciated before I start calling around to donate it. Tried another coil, thinking that got shorted, and checked ceramic resistors on firewall. fuel relay is good, the pump turns for a second when turning the key.
I'm at the end of my energy to get this car on the road.
Attached Thumbnails
1974 450SL d-jet fuel pump alternative/ car starts up and dies..-green-wire.jpg   1974 450SL d-jet fuel pump alternative/ car starts up and dies..-distributor.jpg   1974 450SL d-jet fuel pump alternative/ car starts up and dies..-thing-450sl.jpg