View Single Post
Old 11-16-2014, 02:10 PM

For the Love of Stretch

Been a great "Fan" yours S ....love your restores( no pun intended) because the fan won't fit onto the pulley.LOL I don't know the history of this car. That's why I have been changing belts and hoses, liquids etc..M-B classic told me that my 300td had an engine swap...But that should not make a difference. The aftermarket pump that was on the car should not make a difference.I checked wp and have pics if you want to see they are the same length,but how doe the pulley DROP DOWN? I've recently been told by someone that my engine is a mid 80's engine. And my engine has 2 types of water pumps. But this still does not count for the fact that I tried to put the old wp back on and the pulley didn't fit in the proper place. Explain That? DO YOU THINK ME Turning THE ENGINE over 1 turn OR HAVING THE CAR ON JACKS HAS ANYTHING TO DO WITH THIS?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
I'm trying to understand what the heck is going on too.

It sounds like the new pump bolts up to the engine but the pulley does not fit - and it does not line up with the existing "lines" in which the belts have to run.

First step =>

Compare the "heights" of the water pumps - does the old one stick out further from the block?

There are different pulley options out there - you could be suffering from a bit of a swap around