View Single Post
Old 11-19-2014, 02:13 PM

Question No fuel pre filter? (1987 W124 OM603 300D Turbo)

Bought my first MB this summer, a 1987 300D with less than 50K original on the odometer.

I have searched this and other forums: can't find any similar posts.

I have looked very carefully (with a flashlight) into my engine compartment and can find nothing that looks like a fuel pre-filter. I understand it should have (ideally) a 90 degree bend. As far as I can tell it is simply not there.

Am I missing something? Am I blind? It looks as if I have none.
So...where would it go? (photos would help, but a good description would be ok)

Are the fuel lines such that I could simply cut and splice in a filter where it is supposed to go? (I ask because I admit that my knowledge is limited and that may be a Bozo no-no.)

I am reasonably mechanically inclined and have no issues tackling most car repairs, but on this particular issue, I fully admit my ignorance.

I thank you in advance for any assistance, and if I get any smart-alek responses, well, I admit that I probably deserve them.

Thanks very much.

+++++++++++++++++++
And now edited with the rest of the story, since I can't find a way to simply close or delete the thread.

After posting, I went outside and looked at the car one last time before closing the hood...and there was the fuel pre-filter, plain as day. "If it were a snake, it woulda bit me!"

I guess the moral of this story is that posting on the Pelican Parts forum really can help you with Mercedes Questions.

Last edited by thomae; 11-19-2014 at 02:35 PM. Reason: Found the answer to my question.