View Single Post
Old 11-20-2014, 12:01 PM
BMW Mech (70's) Germany

So, the CEL is lit, I take it.
First of all, I was told that the dyno test is not correct for this model, don't ask why.
According to the book of wisdom, the test can be performed either on the dyno or at no load e.g. at idle and 2500 RPM. In any case your numbers are out the roof, so it doesn't matter.

I had similar smog results with my 95 E320 and it turned out, to make a long one short, to be the O2 sensor. The O2 sensor had about 1/32 of carbon deposits on it and therefore was lame and low in numbers that was send to the ECU.
You simply could remove the O2 sensor and start checking there, visually that is! Use a 22mm wrench or Oxygen wrench. Fairly easy to get to it.
If it looks carboned up, replace it and do a smog pre-test only. Some smog stations offer it and do NOT send any results to the state, if it fails. The O2 Sensor is running anywhere between http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-13314-Oxygen-Sensor-Fitment/dp/B000BZI1J6/ref=sr_1_35?ie=UTF8&qid=1416503846&sr=8-35&keywords=Mercedes+O2+Sensor $80-$250 depending on where you shop.
It is probably better to purchase the direct replacement with the correct connectors on it, even though the universals are much cheaper.
There is a chance that your CAT is fouled up too, depending on the previous engine failure. Then it gets into the hundreds, there are aftermarket replacements, but the rumor is that they don't last as long as OE. Aftermarket goes for around $300.00 and has to be CARB approved for California.

Otherwise, the engine appears to be running fine?

Also, the CEL may need to be cleared after the replacement and a few trips should be done before testing again.
If it still fails, then come back and post, we'll figure something out.
If it passes, please post the outcome too.
Good luck!

95 W124 E320 M104.992 - Because, I love to repair, naaaah!
Over 221,000 Miles
Cheers,
Norbert

Last edited by oldtrucker; 11-20-2014 at 12:29 PM.