View Single Post
Old 02-08-2003, 12:22 PM

The Unicla compressoors are nice but you will never buy any parts for them. I used a few untill I had a problem with their Micky Mouse speed sensor arrangement on one.

I got so burned in the eighties with rebuilt Nippondenso compressors that we quit using anything but new untill MB came out with their own rebuilts. Now Behr is offering them and I have used them also. We have problems even with the MB units but only with leaks.

I wish you luck with your back yard expedition. I wouldn't do the evap unless clear indication of failure. There is virtually no overlap in doing the two jobs except for the evacuation and recharging. The cost of R134 and recharging is small compared to the costs and risks of doing the evap especially when done by a tech who can't answer these questions.

The difference in price has to do with what you buy. Its sort of like buying diamonds, there is more than just shine and size to be considered. The high price you quoted is for a Mercedes-Benz evap. The others aren't. Just like the compressor though, a reasonable facsimile can be had at great savings.

All of these factors and some skilled labor are the reasons many people use professionals and since I give my time freely here I every once in a while throw in editorial comment!

I have helped thousands fix their own cars, but I feel the use of a quote "benz mechanic" out the back door of an establishment gives many an unrealistic view of the costs of auto repair. That quote "mechanic" is likely paying no taxes and many of the other necessities of auto repair. I used to blame the tech but now understand there is a great segment of society that doesn't give a hoot about the environment, health care, or other rules and regs. It is real convenient for those people to let some "mechanic" short change all those elements and of course its his fault none of those "costs of business" got on the bill.

The word slacker comes to mind. Use it where it applies.
Bosch Master, ASE Master, L1
33 years MB technician