View Single Post
Old 02-08-2003, 11:13 AM
L' Résistance

Computer guru advice needed

I bought a new laptop about 3 months ago. Of course, they all come with Windows XP nowdays. I knew going in that XP would not run DOS programs. As it turns out, it spits up on quite a few older Windows programs as well. After using XP for a few months, I find it has some good points, but, generally, I feel a lot more at home in Windows 98. XP may be better for net surfing and such, but 98 seems much easier for everyday computing, like working with files and such.

The simplest solution, if it would work, would be a multiple boot setup, like Partition Magic or System Commander. Could somebody please comment on that option? I have been told that you can add an XP partition to a Windows 98 machine, but you cannot add Windows 98 to an XP machine. Would that be true?

Another possible option would be to just blow out XP and install 98 on the laptop. In that case, I have to wonder if 98 will have drivers which will work for the modem, CD/RW, mouse pad, etc.
If neither of the above options are viable, I think I will just dump this XP laptop and find a second hand 98 laptop.
Your comments and suggestions please...

Thanks

2004 C240 Wagon 203.261 Baby Benz
2008 ML320 CDI Highway Cruiser
2006 Toyota Prius, Saving the Planet @ 48 mpg
2000 F-150, Destroying the Planet @ 20 mpg

TRUMP .......... WHITEHOUSE
HILLARY .........JAILHOUSE
BERNIE .......... NUTHOUSE
0BAMA .......... OUTHOUSE