View Single Post
Old 11-22-2014, 02:58 AM
...like a shield of steel

Nice idea if you had done this for say the covering on a thermostat (or perhaps something else)...

...problem with doing this on a clutch slave cylinder is that the original gasket is a lot thicker than the one you've made. For this part of the car you should consider the gasket to be called "spacer". If you fit the slave cylinder with that gasket it will be sitting too close to the bell housing. There will be a chance that you will be pushing too hard up against the clutch release fork.

The gap - or space - between the clutch slave cylinder and the bell housing is important. Note also the original part has a little channel built into it to allow for any leaking fluids (clutch or engine related) to drain away.

Making your own gaskets can indeed be done - but you have to make sure you know when the thickness is important. Other situations where thickness is important are for vacuum pumps, gear boxes, transmissions. I'm sure there are others but I hope you get the idea.
1961 Volvo PV544 Bare metal rat rod-ish thing

I'm here to chat about cars and to help others - I'm not here "to always be right" like an internet warrior

Don't leave that there - I'll take it to bits!