View Single Post
Old 02-08-2003, 04:26 PM
fdbowles

Coil Measurement

Hello.

My husband and I need to know what the ohm resistant measurement should be when testing the coil with a fluke dmm.

My husband did the following:

1. Disconnected the two wires on the coil and checked across for ohm measurements, receiving a .7 ohm reading.

2. Checked the input to the secondary and the - side of the coil and received an 8.71k reading.

3. Checked the input to the secondary and the + side of the coil and received an 8.71k reading.

Are these good readings? Are the methods used above the best for testing the coil?

The problem with my 1980 280CE is that there appears to be no fire. The car won't start -- It had been idling roughly for about two months, especially when at traffic lights. I would place it in neutral, so it wouldn't cut off on me. The alternator was replaced about 1.5 months ago.

Then, on the coldest day of the year, I started the car, drove about 2 miles to the traffic light, put it in neutral (now more and more a part of my driving routine), and when I accelerated at the light, it started to slowly die as I just about coasted to the shoulder across the busy intersection. At that point, it would start up, but everytime I'd try to drive it would just die on me. I was able to make it 1 mile back home, but it died one last time.

We're now trying to resurrect it...

Please help!