View Single Post
Old 11-25-2014, 11:39 AM
BMW Mech (70's) Germany

Quote:
Plugs and MAF are now in, and the difference in how the car runs is night and day
Glad you are making progress.
It is tough to get a feel of how a 20 year old car should run without having an reference.

Once the CAT is gone e.g. there is nothing left of the precious metal inside, there is nothing that can be done other than replace it with either a new one (OE) or CARB approved after market for California.
But it may still be in good condition, if you don't hear any rattling coming from the exhaust.

Can't tell for sure until the pre-test with new O2 sensor has been done.

Quote:
I have also heard of running e85 to pass testing.Makes alot of sense,then fix your problem after that.
I tried, this so called "Sure Pass" without any results other than my wallet was lighter.
It might work, if the CO HC etc. is only a few numbers above pass threshold, but I had 4% CO and don't remember exactly the HC. Once I applied this and other stuff, it came out with 1% less than the test before.
Conclusion, I don't believe in it!
Alcohol might get you through but needs to be drained right away and after all the engine is still running out of wack...
In California, they may give you a one month extension to fix it or junk it. However, the registration fee is due no matter what, even if you decide to junk it.
It is also illegal to operate a Motor Vehicle without valid registration, therefore if your extension expires, you are not allowed to operate this vehicle on public roads, period. You may not get another extension.
This makes it even more complicated to complete your smog test, since you are not even allowed to drive to the smog station.

95 W124 E320 M104.992 - Because, I love to repair, naaaah!
Over 221,000 Miles
Cheers,
Norbert

Last edited by oldtrucker; 11-26-2014 at 10:24 AM.