View Single Post
Old 11-28-2014, 10:25 AM
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
The timing device is bolted onto the intermediate shaft but it does break down to smaller parts =>

OM617 timing device - advice required

Worth checking it out considering what a pain in the arse this has been so far
Thank you! Pain in the arse is right.

My timing device rattled when I had it out and searching the forum back then for timing device rattle brought me to exactly your thread! Mine has the heat treat bluing as well. It's definitely a knock, instead of a rattle.

Update thus far(wordy, my apologies):

Found the power steering pump was tapping the hood. Engine flexes the motor mounts to the passenger side when I'm applying throttle, and the opposite direction when coasting down. Some fine adjusting to the inside of the hood with a hammer gave some clearance, and coast-down noise was greatly reduced.

I now have a steady stream of bubbles through my prefilter. Something in my fuel system is letting air in while under vacuum but not leaking fuel out when resting. Back to the plan to replace all the fuel lines, and I think this will cure the first start roughness and miss.

Lastly, I'm going to yank the gutted vacuum pump housing and poke around. Hopefully there'll be something incredibly obvious and easy to fix, but the way this project is going I'm expecting the demon Murphy to raise his head.

Thanks again everyone.