View Single Post
Old 12-04-2014, 03:55 PM
I've become my Dad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by leathermang View Post
Sure, if Mother Nature will cooperate....
this ' NPG'...
does it satisfy the Mercedes need for anti corrosive properties to protect the heater core... for instance ?
Well, Mother Nature has cooperated in spades. We've had quite a few freezing spells and I can confirm that the "rusty water" did not freeze at all. There were a few lumps of "rust" at the bottom of the bucket that seemed like congealed porridge, but a quick swirl of the gunk and it was gone.

My car has kinda behaved a little since. I took it for a hard run up Burke Mountain to see if the temps would rise. Not a whit. Needle stayed resolutely below the 100 degree mark.

However, what I've discovered is that if I keep the car running below 90 kmh, the temps will not climb. Going faster past 100 kmh and the temps will go above 100, but not much higher. Still within MBs range.

My suspicions are the water pump vanes may be corroded. At idle, I don't feel much water rushing by when I squeeze the top rad hose. I think that's a pretty clear indication of a "weak" water pump.

The waterpump has never been changed on this vehicle. The thermostat has. And I remember that when I changed the thermostat was when the temps of the car started going higher, up to the 100 mark. With the old thermostat, it never went past 85, which someone told me was too "cool" for the diesel to be efficient.

Either way, it looks like a dodged a bullet there. I'm going to be proactive and just change the WP, and maybe even the TStat. I'll probably wait until it warms up a little, so that I can do a cooling system flush as well. Right now, everything with water in it freezes.
BC Canada