View Single Post
Old 12-09-2014, 09:12 PM

1970 220D in for the long haul

I hope this helps for the someone considering buying a car this old. I pretty much bought a transmission and body. Haha.

I keep pushing it, but I lost a quart of oil in 60 miles yesterday. Leaking out the side of the head gasket. I also believe I have a bearing in this differential going bad, or the strangest sounding CV failure I've ever heard. Clutch pedal not lifting (getting good at lifting it with my right toe while heeling the gas). And some brakes that will become a problem.

So for real this time. She's getting parked and tinkered with. Gotta drive a gas hog for the time being. And look like a dork in not an MBZ

I picked up a differential and ordered axle seals for it. I wanted to do the pinion seal but our local guy said "don't pull the dragons tail, he might wake up." It's not leaking.

So last of the calipers. Front bearings. New 240D differential, axles, and a rebuilt head going on.

Maybe water injection. Been researching. I guess it can effect timing (of combustion), and for an N/A the magic blend is 13% ethanol to keep it balanced. Not 100% sure on that.

I got a washer pump and reservoir from a Dodge Durango, fits near the firewall on passenger side if I move my voltage regulator. Plus it has a low level sensor.

I thought about a complicated system, but I'm just gonna hook up a push button and remember to do it while on a grade. Not enough capacity for all the time.

So hopefully I'll have some pics next time. I have a master mechanic around currently so should put a rush on.