Thread: Fuel Hose Leak
View Single Post
Old 12-10-2014, 08:07 PM
Not suffering fools today

Fuel Hose Leak

Few weeks back I noticed a gas smell and visually discovered the large hose is leaking. I put a cookie tin under it a couple weeks ago and have collected about 4 oz of fuel. That is net after evaporation at temps reaching about 15-30F days (at highest) and low as single digits at night. I have since covered the tin with foil, shaped like a funnel and poked a small hole to let the gas in, that should slow the evap. That white stuff appeared to be ice. I suppose the evaporation off the hose cools it enough to condense and freeze moisture from the air. I can't imagine it is water from the gas. I knocked that stuff off the first day, it grew back. I knocked the new formation into the tin and it melted in the gas. I took another hunk recently and put it in a jar, it melted in the house. It is about 50/50 gas floating on top of an emulsified mix. I seldom use any ethanol mix and only the min amount needed until I get to a No ETOH premium pump, could ETOH be the culprit? Would that hurt the hose? Hose just getting old? So what is the part number for that hose, and where do you suggest I buy one? Could I use any hose or does it have to be OEM? What are the specs on the hose, so I can purchase one before taking this one off? Will the tank drain on me when I pull the hose? Doesn't seem to leak any faster if the key is on to run the pump or the engine is running. Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
Fuel Hose Leak-gasleak.jpg