View Single Post
Old 12-16-2014, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbomachines View Post
More than one of my military friends has said the exact same thing. I think it would be a neat idea for these to go to some more rural fire depts to help with remote situations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by spdrun View Post
They should go to the highest bidder -- public agencies should NOT have priority.

I'm actually not convinced that they'd be good in remote situations. Too wide/heavy for trail use, and for truly remote situations, they usually attack the fire with aircraft anyway. If fire depts wanted the things, they'd have acquired some ten years ago.
Actually some fire departments do have them, LINK. They can be helpful for fire fighting and rescue. While they're not exactly small, they're still much smaller than even a "small" firetruck. And their off road ability is considerable, when compared to a similarly equipped 3/4 ton pickup. Sometimes being able to get a small truck to a small fire can keep things under control before big trucks are needed for a big fire. There are quite a few roads in our local wildlands (your area[s] may differ) that can be used to get equipment close to a fire and/or rescue situation. Not saying they're perfect, but if the price is right, they can be pretty useful.

MV