View Single Post
Old 12-18-2014, 08:37 PM
I miss my MBZ

The problem with Craigslist is that you really need to demand cash, or some form of travellers check/bank check that can be cashed or verified at the time of sale.
I'm not sure about an '08 Impala, but If I wanted to buy it, I wouldnt want to withdraw the $x,000 dollars....in cash...and walk around with that in my pocket for very long. I hear that craigslist brings out all the crazies and scammers, so it wouldnt surprise me if someone would try to give me a fake bank check for a car...and I'm not sure I'd be able to tell until I bring it to the bank and they say "sorry".

So, if you advertise on craigslist, add a few diclaimers to the ad, including:
-cash only
-no payment plans, buyer responsible for transportation
-no 'dibs' or other means of holding. first one with the purchase price gets it.
-mention if you have a clear title in hand. If you have to legally wrangle the title do that ahead of time if possible. nothing sours a car buyer like "I have the title, but I dont have the title *with* me..."
-I always add a "no warranties expressed or implied, car is sold as is, where is" just in case that adds legal weight down the road (I havent had any problems yet, but have only sold 2 cars on CL...

follow other guidance as to what to put in a CL ad for a car, and you'll probably be ok.

On the other hand, if you arent worried about getting tip-top dollar for the car, selling it to a dealer will be WAY easier on you (they have the people and notaries to transfer titles and ownership onsite, and if their check bounces, they are much easier to sue than an individual.

my opinions only,
-John
(insert Mercedes here)

Husband, Father, sometimes friend =)