View Single Post
Old 12-18-2014, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by porkface View Post
all the fuel stuff will have bosch part numbers on them-no worries.

brakes, chassis, steering, auto trans, etc will be the same. MAYBE same for caps and rotors, again, use bosch numbers.

my only issue with gray cars and parts is ac and interior stuff. it's ALWAYS different.

2 caveats-you have to use premium. the euros are higher compression than the u.s. cars. otherwise, you're buying a motor. and pull the valve covers and make sure the chain is tight and the guides in 1 piece. any m117 at 100k is close to needing a chain. they have been known to break at 110-125k.

zero the crank, then line up the marks on the cams. if they are off, then rotate the engine by hand until the cams do line up. now look at the crank pulley. 0 to 6 degrees, you're ok for a while. 7 degrees or more, change the chain, tensioner, rails, etc. the chain can jump 4 teeth before you get bent valves but don't push it. after 100k, i add a valve cover pull every oil change to watch the progress and catch the chain before it's too late. some shops even suggest changing the rails every 75k prevent them from getting brittle and breaking. i don't see these engines often enough any more to suggest that. good luck, chuck.
If order a timing chain for a 1986 560sel and other internal engine parts, will they fit?