View Single Post
Old 12-21-2014, 11:21 PM
300cd

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlmightySam View Post
The fact that you heard a pop when the grounding incident happened is what worries me. While I never recommend working on anything electrical when hot, usually what happens with a speaker wire shorts to ground is that the associated amp goes into thermal protection and shuts down until it cools off. You'll get no sound out of that channel for a bit, but usually nothing permanent happens.

I'm likewise skeptical that the RCAs are the cause here, but it wouldn't hurt to definitively eliminate them as a suspect.

If I had to guess, based on the fact that connecting the HU to the RCA shield eliminates the problem, I'd suspect that something in the headunit's ground path is munched, either within the headunit itself, or the actual ground wire in the HU harness. Since you've tried wiring the HU direct to the battery, and you're tried replacing the HU, I might see what happens when you do both, just on the off chance you have a compound failure.
Well, the pop was through the speakers, not a capacitor blowing up. I know it was a big mistake working on this while on, I didn't think of the dash being aluminum underneath and the chance of touching anything. It only stayed touched for a second. I immediately pulled it back out and the amp never went into protection mode which is odd. And I've tried multiple head units and amps with different power cable configurations with the same issue so I don't think the audio equipment is the problem unless like you said the rca cables went south. It's like something on the car is dumping all this noise in and the head unit is picking it up? But all audio equipment have filters on power inputs.
91 300TD- 722.6, #22 head, 3.5L IP, w140 manifolds, ect