View Single Post
Old 01-01-2015, 08:49 AM
...like a shield of steel

Product review - Hantek 1008C

G'day Folks,

With the purchase of a petrol engined monstrosity I've found the need for an oscilloscope to set up the ignition system and fuel injection system.

At first I thought I could pick up a conventional oscilloscope for a few quid (well here it is euros) and see how things go. Unfortunately in my neck of the woods two channel pieces of junk with round 1950s screens seem to be fetching serious money for what they are...

...shopping around for the same money (just under 85 euros) I found a Hantek 1008C USB oscilloscope that plugs into ye olde laptoppe

It runs on ****dows (XP / 7 / 8) which for me is a serious down side but if I can boot up ****dows and leave it for half an hour to sort itself out (so there's a bit of forward thinking needed here!) I reckon I might be able to get some measurements done on the W201.

Here's a rough breakdown of what this little box of tricks has

It has a signal generator - I won't be needing this for W201 work but could come in handy later on

It has eight analogue input channels

It came with four BNC connectors and wires connected to crocodile clips

It came with one inductance probe that you can clip onto a spark plug wire (only on the insulation!!!) so you can do timing jiggery pokery

The system is designed for "Automotive" use so the bandwidth isn't quite like a normal Oscilloscope but seems pretty much ideal for what I think I can use it for.

So far I haven't used it in anger but I intend to be giving it a go quite soon.

I'll report back and say how I'm getting along with it and perhaps show some pictures of it in use.

If anyone has either this model or something similar I'm interested in hearing from you!
1961 Volvo PV544 Bare metal rat rod-ish thing

I'm here to chat about cars and to help others - I'm not here "to always be right" like an internet warrior

Don't leave that there - I'll take it to bits!