Thread: Brake bleed
View Single Post
Old 02-10-2003, 10:16 PM

Thomaspin:
Quote:
Gillybenztech - am I right in saying that pedal pumping is ineffective with ABS brakes? And even more so for ASR?
Do you mean while driving, like trying to stop the vehicle? Or brake bleeding/brake fluid flush?

Quote:
I have read many times that pumping the brake pedal runs the risk that you run the brake fluid in the reservoir too low and heretofore unused (and potentially corroded) parts of the brake caliper pistons are forced into their respective counterbores in the caliper, scoring the surface and destroying the brake. I wonder if anyone can confirm this?
No, I can't confirm this. I can't even envision what you're trying to say.

Quote:
It has a built in rubber seal and drain hose attached, and has an integrated handle for torquing
It's made out of a piece of steel tube, not tool steel, and quickly wears out. The 9mm hex wears out. It frequently requires repair where the plastic/rubber hose is supposed to attach to the bleeder screw, or it'll leak brake fluid. It may be OK for a DIY'er, which is fine. I haven't seen ours for quite awhile. I thnk someone probably pitched it. (no, not me, I just ignored it).

Gilly