View Single Post
Old 01-03-2015, 12:32 PM
Ghost of Diesels Past

Thoughts and ramblings of TheDon

So I just had two weeks off from school and during this time I've gotten a lot done around the house and stuff I've wanted to do. Plus it's nice not having to stress about school crap and students problems on a daily basis.

But I dont want to go back to the school and teach the mass of ungrateful, apathetic, and disrespectful trolls that I call my students. Now not all of them are terrible. Maybe about 15-20 out of them all I'd say are decent kids but for the majority. I dislike them all.

I should have spent my two weeks off making lesson plans and lessons but this is my time off that I get to do with what I please.

I'm seriously considering quitting and becoming a statistic of teachers that don't return after the first year. It's honestly not worth my effort to deal with 5 different classes I have to plan for( one being high school credit), to try and teach the students common core crap in addition to my content, to appease the administration and the state inspectors as well as the parents that complain about what their students are learning.

I'm done, I thought that it would be fun teaching students stuff that I enjoyed when I had the class but the school has changed since I had been there and kids these days are incredibly selfish, their behavior is terrible and they don't care. I've called home to parents, written referrals and given alternative assignments with no change. I've told my administration that I have too many students, not enough computers, I need assistance if we are to use the shop.

It's just too much for too little pay. I'm not going to have a heart attack at 25 because of the stress I have gotten since starting the job. My mood has changed so much since starting to teach. Two days before Christmas break I found that some students stole some stuff from me and I flipped my
&$&) so to speak.

Lately I've been thinking about going to the school and learning to weld. I have a BS degree in IT but I don't think I'll ever get hired. I've been sending out resumes and everything since January with no calls. Everyone wants a senior level IT person for an entry level position. And I feel like I don't know jack when it comes to IT stuff. I really don't. I wasted my time in college and should have just went and learned a trade.

But really, there is a tech school by my house and they do welding. Financially I can quit my job and we would have money for bills for 12 months or more. Actually. Yeah. Two years worth of mortgage payments. And more if I sell off crap I own. Plus we have room mates that pay rent. I could get a job at Disney again that would works with a school schedule or somewhere close to my
House.

So I don't know what to do. My wife and I have talked about it and prayed about it. She thinks going to school for welding would be a great idea.

She loves her job and it isn't even a job for her. Sure it's crap pay compared to what others make(10.50 an hour base plus other premiums) but she loves performing and there's nowhere else in the world she can do her job as a full time gig. She could perform in a local theater but she's have to do that as a hobby and get a job to help support. So there's that. Moving far would be pretty hard I think for her to find a job she would love. I don't want to take that away from her.

Anyways....

What to do. What to do....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk