View Single Post
Old 01-03-2015, 12:46 PM
dieselfuelinjector.guru

Here's my .02 cents. If you enjoy (enjoyed) teaching, have you thought about a private school? Excluding one year for one child, all years for my kids were at Catholic School. I visited the public school and it was a zoo. I deeply regret subjecting my one child to the public school system for that year, and Richland County, S.C. supposedly enjoys some of the best public schools in the nation. IF that is the case, then I really feel bad for the rest of the nation. I can say you will generally not experience a bunch of hellions in private school, and one call to the parents will nip any issue in the bud.

I only teach 1 evening per week at a CCD class as a volunteer so I have nothing to compare against a full time schedule. I have a mix, with half the kids being really respectful, interested, participating, et cet., and the other half just waiting for the bell, with a handful who need to be told to simmer down, be quiet, get on track, et cet. every 10 minutes. Some years are better than others, but overall the same experience give or take.

Teaching is a super tough job IMO, especially in the public school system. Personally, I could not do it since I do not think there is any real enforcment mechanism. I went to a tiny inter-city Catholic school run by nuns who had really clever, almost sadistic methods to enforce the rules. All I can say is thank God for them. Now, I wonder what enforcement the public schools have for those who cannot shut their mouth, listen, and apply themself?

Good luck on teaching.