View Single Post
Old 01-03-2015, 05:31 PM
dieselarchitect

No job is perfect.

I'd keep my nose to the grindstone until I had another job for sure.

The perfect job is being born to the right parents, then you can do what you love and not worry about money.

For the rest of us though if we are lucky there is a part of the job that we truly love, the rest we do so we can do that part we love. For me the design work is what I love. For the rest, I developed solid competency over the years. Ratio for me back in the hay day was doing what I loved for 5% of the time, the rest I ground out with competency so I could build innovative designs and get recognized for them.

For any aspiring teacher I suggest as required reading "The Hoosier Schoolmaster". It was written in 1870 or so (I have a first edition of it) and its in a tiny one room school in rural Indiana, but the challenges are similar to what you face.

It is hilarious and readable.
[SIGPIC] Diesel loving autocrossing grandpa Architect. 08 Dodge 3/4 ton with Cummins & six speed; I have had about 35 benzes. I have a 39 Studebaker Coupe Express pickup in which I have had installed a 617 turbo and a five speed manual.[SIGPIC]

..I also have a 427 Cobra replica with an aluminum chassis.