View Single Post
Old 01-04-2015, 04:18 PM
...like a shield of steel

Question about Discovery (Alaskan) Off Gridders

G'day Folks,

(I hope this doesn't end up in Politics and Religion! So please play nice)

At the moment the Dutch breed of the Discovery Channel is swamped with American programs about people living "off grid". I'm guessing the same programs are shown all over the world...

...I know this is TV and it isn't necessarily 100% real but I was wondering "how on earth can these people afford all that ****ing propane"?

I mean I'm sure it is seriously (life threateningly cold) up there in the Yukon / Alaska but propane costs money. Without propane I'm sure you'd be chopping wood all summer. In addition to the copious amounts of propane there seems to be loads of snow mobiles and other luxuries that don't quite tally with the subjects of the programs that are often "they need to catch 500kg of fish or red meat to make it through the winter"...

...so like another Discovery program "how do they do that"?

These good folk of TV land don't seem to be secretly sloping off to great big Alaskan call centres to earn their money - It does seem as though they do need to catch that one train a week to get home. So I'm just curious to know how it all works out for them.

(This is pure curiosity and not motivated by envy)

Does anyone here know how the economics of off grid life up there works?
1961 Volvo PV544 Bare metal rat rod-ish thing

I'm here to chat about cars and to help others - I'm not here "to always be right" like an internet warrior

Don't leave that there - I'll take it to bits!