View Single Post
Old 01-04-2015, 09:59 PM

I have a 97 C280 and 97 SL320 so don't have much direct info on the E. ( other than the R 129 SL was based on the W124 E floor pan )

From a parts standpoint the C will be easier to get parts for.

While the E has only one air bag, so does the C for all practical purposes. ( the C has a passenger bag, no side bags. ) I "think" the C will have belt pretensioners. The E might have the high power bags designed to catch a unbelted person, these could be a problem for some people.

If you are belted in and are far enough from the steering wheel, a bag won't do much.

Does the E have CIS injection? I'd expect the fuel distributor needing a rebuild soon. ( the diaphragm splits / gets stiff causing cold start issues.

The C could easily be replaced with another one if you wanted to go back, the sportline E might be more difficult.

Some forget that the C was built to a price and is entry level. It is still a good driving car and I like it around town more than the SL. ( Actually the C is Moms summer car so I don't get to drive it much until it comes to my house for winter storage. )