View Single Post
Old 01-12-2015, 08:29 PM

making the switch from w123 diesels to W124 gassers?

I've been contemplating the following scenario and thought someone here might have specific experience with both W124's and W123's and would have some wisdom that might help me out...

The short version is whether moving from w123 diesels to a w124 gas powered wagon will be a disappointment and reliability headache?

The long version if anyone wants to read...

I have been driving W123 diesels for about the last 5 years. Started off with a '77 240D and bought a '85 300D a year later that I have been driving since. The 300D just ticked over 300,000. Runs great but is a bit of an ongoing project (as any car with 300k on it would be). I also have less time these days to spend doing things like replacing the crank seal, re-building power steering pump and possibly replacing timing chain (all things that probably need to be addressed within the next year).

I have 4 kids. My wife's vehicle (a Vanagon) serves as the primary family hauler. I've had in mind for a while that as much as I love my 300D sedan it would be wise to have a second vehicle that has the capacity to haul all six of us in a pinch, e.g. when I need a few days to work on our Van.

To that end I have been looking primarily for an '87 W124 300TD. However they are obviously difficult to come by, particularly in my area (Seattle) and seem to (rightfully) cost a premium if they are in halfway decent condition.

I recently decided to widen my search to W124 gassers and have come across a few local examples that are fairly well sorted out with low miles for a decent price.

So here's a few possible outcomes I am contemplating...

1. Stick with the w123 sedan. I know it inside and out and it has never left me stranded. Deal with the issues as needed and stop thinking about selling it. On the other hand my wife isn't a big fan of driving it and it doesn't fit the entire family. Selling cars is a pain.
  2. Hold out for '87 300TD (with 3rd row seats). Save up and buy one well sorted out, even if I need to have it shipped in from out of state. On the other hand this could be cost prohibitive or time prohibitive (if I buy one that needs lots of work)
  3. Buy a w123 300TD with 3rd row seats. This would be familiar to me mechanically. On the other hand finding a well sorted w123 wagon seems like it might also be cost prohibitive. Additionally my gut tells me that the 3rd row seats in the w123 wagon are not as safe as in a w124 (but I have no real data to back up that feeling).
  4. Move to a W124 300TE, less cost prohibitive and easier to find. On the other hand I know very little about MB gas engines.
  5. Move on to other brand options. Many years ago I owned a Volvo 850 wagon that was very reliable and nice to drive. They are easy to find and even less cost prohibitive than a Mercedes wagon. On the other hand where does that rabbit trail end? Possibly in an American SUV, or another Vanagon? Yikes.
Anyway, this has been therapeutic to type out. Thanks in advance if anyone has any input