View Single Post
Old 01-13-2015, 01:58 AM
KHAAAAAAN-gress

Nice Volvo 960/V90s are as hard to find as 87 300TDs. Inline, non turbo, rear wheel drive. You don't want a flunk wheel drive Volvo wagon... Junk.

I find the next evolutionary step, like the 124, 140, 202, etc, is not aging as gracefully as the 123. Ten years ago it was much easier to find a sorted 123/126 than it is to find a sorted 124/140 today. So much more technology, much more to go wrong.

Can you enjoy a car with the knowledge that the wiring in the car is slowly degrading as designed? One day your AC will stop working, needing a 20 hour job literally ripping the interior apart to get to the evaporator? Early electronics that can be difficult to diagnose? Reverse just crapping out at any moment? That is the real life of a 124 owner. I've owned several 124s and experienced each and every one of these, some multiple times.

That being said, the experience is overall positive. If you compare what my friend has gone through to keep my old w211 wagon with airmatic suspension in good shape, the 124 is a walk in the park.

Five years ago I sold my driver 124 wagon and picked up a 1994 Buick Roadmaster Estate. Complete with fake wood paneling, LT1 small block, fantastic seats, whisper quiet, along with a great ride with decent handling. It has been an extremely reliable car compared to the 124. Other than maintenance, I've had to replace one electrical component, the AC compressor, heater core, and the radiator due to my oil cooler lines starting to drip and had become fused to the radiator after 20 years. Less than $1000 total not including normal maintenance.

I also had a 2005 Toyota Prius with service records going way back. Literally nothing but oil changes, light bulbs, filters, tires and wiper blades. The transmission is a planetary drive CVT with very few moving parts. Engine as simple as can be. Battery pack problems seldom, blown way out of proportion. Its not uncommon to see 250k out of everything, including the original regenerative braking "pads". Buying one of these used would be the lowest cost per mile vehicle in existence, but it's a boring appliance of a car that was built to do one thing (gas mileage) at the expense of everything else (performance and handling). My current "work car" is a 2010 Prius. Not proud of it but when you're driving 30-40k miles a year and getting compensated for mileage, driving it is like a second income.

If I just owned the Prius, I would be miserable. Having the luxury of owning multiple cars to suit different needs or moods is great. If I had to choose just one to own, with the parameters of under 5k, family practicality, reliable, and fun to drive, It would be the Roadmaster Estate. European only? 123 or 126.
2001 CLK55 AMG 101k
2007 S600 Biturbo 149k Overheated Project, IT'S ALIVE!!!