View Single Post
Old 01-16-2015, 02:09 PM
New England Hick

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpeDiem51392 View Post
I think it's the same with this explosion in autism, are their really more autistic kids today then there were in the past or is it just because we are "diagnosing" more kids w/ autism than we used to?
It sure seems like there are a lot more kids with Autistic behaviors than when I was a kid. Kids with special needs weren't integrated into the classroom back then as they are now, but we'd always see the kids around school and at concerts and assemblies.

Having a kid with Down syndrome, we share many of the same circles as parents of kids with Autism. So while I don't live it day-to-day, I have a lot of interaction with them or their parents (some of whom were friends before we all started having kids). I also help with my son's Challenger League baseball team and have had the pleasure of coaching a bunch on kids who are on the spectrum. And that spectrum covers a wide range of tendencies!

I can't help but wonder what factor or combination of factors have led to the increasing number of kids with autistic behaviors. Part of the increase in the diagnosis could be the vast range of behaviors and delays (if any) the Autism Spectrum covers. It's not a parenting issue.

But I digress. (Sorry about the detour on your thread, Stretch!)

1980 300TD-China Blue/Blue MBTex-2nd Owner, 107K (Alt Blau) OBK #15
'06 Chevy Tahoe Z71 (for the wife & 4 kids, current mule) '03 Honda Odyssey (son #1's ride, reluctantly) '99 GMC Suburban (255K+ miles, semi-retired mule) 21' SeaRay Seville (summer escape pod)

Last edited by SwampYankee; 01-16-2015 at 02:21 PM.