View Single Post
Old 01-22-2015, 11:17 AM
BMW Mech (70's) Germany

Quote:
Well the high idle came back. No change when MAF harness pulled. Replaced with new MAF and car now idles around 800-850 neutral warm and a bit low in gear around 550-575. Should the idle be a bit higher.
This engine doesn't have an ICV.....

If the engine coolant sensor is signallig the wrong value, if it is higher (there is some mechanism that detects unrealistic values and may throw a code) meaning the temperature is too high, I would think the computer will run the engine richer and throw the CEL. If it is the other way, the external air injection pump might kick in, and thereby getting the O2 Sensor lean. So it also would run the engine richer. But in both cases, if the detection algorithm works correctly, it would switch on the CEL because these are conditions that can cause excessive pollution or engine damage.

No, the numbers indicated are fine as long as you don't feel excessive misses.
Also, the computer may not be done with re-adjusting the injection timing etc. needs to learn over about 10 trips.
If your engine idles smooth, your in. Nice going!!!

{Deleted since it was irelevant}

Also, if you haven't, built yourself a code reader, there are several posts with built instructions.
With this tool armed, you'll be able to get a little more insight what the computer complaint about previousely.
Check here post #3

95 W124 E320 M104.992 - Because, I love to repair, naaaah!
Over 221,000 Miles
Cheers,
Norbert

Last edited by oldtrucker; 01-22-2015 at 12:09 PM.