View Single Post
Old 01-24-2015, 07:01 PM
KHAAAAAAN-gress

I sold my bought new 2012 GTI to carmax after a little less than a year and 10,000 miles for $19,000. Original MSRP $24,000 and change, I paid $22,000 for it. Percentage wise that's lower than the CLA.

Consumer reports tells the real story:

Mike Quincy: For $35,000, there are lots of cars I’d consider before the CLA. This is among the few Mercedes models that I find completely boring. What would I get instead? My life requires four doors to deal with kids, dog, house—you get the picture. And I often travel with my bike during the warm-weather months, so I’d like some cargo flexibility. For just under $33,000, I can get an Acura TSX wagon (without the Technology Package) and have just about everything I need: family practicality, fold-down-backseat bike hauler, reasonable fuel economy, and good reliability. So it doesn’t have the Mercedes prestige—who cares?

Jon Linkov: I want a blend of style and substance. The CLA certainly gives me the former. It's a cool-looking car. But it doesn't deliver on the substance side. Materials are adequate at best, the infotainment screen looks tacked-on, the interior is quite narrow and tiny, and the rear seat is pretty much useless by anyone larger than most teenagers. It drives with a bit of excitement, but the rough ride takes enjoyment out of the experience. And don't give me the "well, M-B had to cut corners to make it affordable" argument. M-B didn't have to be in this segment. The rush to the bottom is resulting in cars that do damage to the brand. And the CLAs main ills—size and space—can't be overcome with more $$.

Gordon Hard: I had the same reservations about the CLA as everyone else: the tight quarters, terrible view out, crummy ride, and basically lame driving experience. But it does look nice. What would I get for about the same money? An Audi A4 2.0T Quattro Premium. You can find low-miles certified 2014 Premium Plus versions in the mid-$30s.

But this car was not built by enthusiasts for enthusiasts. It was made by a marketing team for the average consumer... and has been a great success. Sell as many new cars as you can. Who cares about engineering and quality as long as they sell, right?

Consumer Reports ratings show the CLA suffers from a raft of problems, ranging from engine and audio issues to glitches with the things like the power windows.

CR also reports numerous squeaks and rattles, which the publication defines as "body integrity" issues.

For the Stuttgart-based automaker, the CLA has sold and leased well in the U.S. due to its low (for a Mercedes) price point — around $35,000, for a well-equipped model.

However, Consumer Reports has not been impressed by the overall execution of the product. "The CLA is not a great vehicle," Linkov said.

"It's small, cramped, and with a front-wheel drive chassis is also missing some Mercedes-Benz DNA."

Read more: Consumer Reports: Mercedes Benz CLA Worst Car In Lineup - Business Insider

Never thought I would hear "squeaks and rattles" and "Mercedes-Benz" in the same sentence. My friend is a tech at the Mercedes dealer. He and his colleagues at the shop agree this car has the makings to be a major **** box. Consumer reports lists the CLA as the most unreliable luxury car on the road.
2001 CLK55 AMG 101k
2007 S600 Biturbo 149k Overheated Project, IT'S ALIVE!!!