View Single Post
Old 01-26-2015, 11:24 AM
is thinning the herd

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTI View Post
One of the local dealerships here told me that the CLA250 is being sold to empty nesters and many who are trading in Lexus ES chassis cars. The buyers are not particularly young.
This is what I have been told as well, and some early buyers of CLAs are already trading them in on GLAs, more trunk space, and easier to get into, as most of the buyers are older.

I think its funny that Mercedes enthusiasts are offended by the CLA. Ugh, I can't believe Mercedes would do this. Well, they are a business, and their business is making money, they pander to people who buy the most cars. The average car buyer couldn't tell you the difference between fwd, and rwd, prefers an automatic gearbox, and a small engine with good mpg is enough for them. So Mercedes put together a car to sell them. And they are selling, and Mercedes is making money. The average Mercedes enthusiast drives a 15-25 year old car, from "back when they were handmade" (oh craigslist), and has never bought a new car from Mercedes. So, no, they probably aren't overly concerned with those of us who don't spend $35,000-$50,000 with them ever 36 months. Pretty straightforward.

The CLA45 is pretty badass, and the C-class is still reasonably priced, RWD, and available with a swath of engine options. Just buy a C, Mercedes always seems to have a lease special on them and let the college students have their parents buy them CLAs.

I've driven a CLA250 FWD and personally found it to be a nice drive, great power, and the handling was good for a FWD car. It drove better than any FWD Honda or Acura. I found the backseat entirely useless if you're over like 5'6". I too, won't be buying one.

Nissan GTR - Nissan Skyline GTS25T - Toyota GTFour - Rover Mini - Toyota Land Cruiser HJ60 - Cadillac Eldorado - BMW E30 - BMW 135i