View Single Post
Old 01-26-2015, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTI View Post
Isn't that sage advice for any model? Each year, Mercedes revises different parts and systems in a chassis based on real world service experiences. On the W201, I have a series of service bulletins from MB starting in1984, right through to the final year of production 1993. The interesting thing about that production run is that by the end of the run, they had solved the issue with the cracking dashboards, BUT the final model years had the problem with the shrinking door card lining which the early cars didn't have.

I recall the introduction of the W201 and the howls and wailing of Mercedes owners at the small compact car. However, the car opened a segment door the company needed . . . a growing demand for a "second car" perhaps for the wife of the guy that drove an S-Class or SL. The need for a more fuel efficient car to address CAFE standards and finally, at a price point that provided access to a demographic that might continue customer loyalty. The W201 was nearly twice as much as a nearly equivalent Honda Accord Si back in the mid-80's but they still managed to sell over a million units worldwide.
Yepp the door cards on my 87 shrunk less than the ones in my Sportline LE. I am probably at some point going to try and restore the door cards with new skins or something. I'm glad I know people who are good with that type of stuff.

But I might say my favorite improvement from the early cars to the later cars, besides the seats, is the leather wrapped steering wheel. It feels much better than the rubber one they had before. I like the rubber steering wheels in my dad's 240 and the huge one in my brother's W116 300SD (that thing is just awesome). It just makes the car feel more modern. The seats in the Sportline remind me of my uncle's E55, as does the ride.