View Single Post
Old 01-27-2015, 11:52 AM

We used brasso to polish up plastic radio cabinets many years ago. It has a very fine abrasive component. I would suspect it may help.

Also I suspect there is no dedicated service to serious polish used stainless steel sinks as such. Based on my own experience. That said I might try a flex shaft motor with 5 inch buffing pads. I would expect improvement but not total restoration basically as an end result. The internal shape would present some difficulties I suspect but do not know. Using a dedicated stainless steel cutting compound on the wheel.

I accidentally marred the surface of a new sink after installation and for what it is worth sanding blended the issue. Depending on the current surface condition it may be a workable option. As you work your way down in grit size the surface may again be smooth enough to be satisfactory in use.

Everyone is throwing out old stainless steel sinks. So a person could latch on to one to experimentally do a small area of it before tackling the sink in place.

I suspect it may work. At least you will know if it is a good enough approach for you to employ a young fellow to do it. Although getting that surface blemish out of the one I damaged did not take as much effort or time as one would think.

I of course still know where it was and could pick it up under certain light conditions when really looking for it. The current homeowner in all probability never will. By sanding you are actually cutting down the old surface. Rather than just superficially polishing a situation that is somewhat beyond that. You eventually are going to polish of with perhaps 2000 grit paper. It in my opinion it has to finish off super smooth to be serviceable basically.