View Single Post
Old 01-28-2015, 08:47 AM

Thanks very much for the fast and informative replies. I ‘ve posted pictures of the right and left cam shaft marks and their tower marks, as well as a picture of the harmonic balancer mark, showing that it is approximately 10 degrees off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by porkface View Post
chain stretch can't be accurate if the tensioner is missing. reinstall it and try again. good luck, chuck.
As it turns out, I thought I had removed the tensioner. But I only loosened the bolts slightly to see how difficult removing them would be. So, the tensioner is still putting its regular pressure on the chain.

At this point I’m assuming that the prudent thing to do would be to change the timing chain, but I’m still wondering whether I need to change the tensioner and its rail, considering that I change them when I changed the chain less that 100K miles ago, and AFAIK the tensioner rail doesn’t break? OTOH, since I replaced the two plastic, top rails, which I’ve heard are most prone to breaking, with metal rails at that time, I’m assuming that they’re still good.

Since I’ve already removed everything that needs to be removed to replace the chain, I’d hate to have to put everything back together to drive it to an Indy for him to replace it, and I’d also hate to have it towed there. But I’m afraid to replace the chain myself, considering the problems that screwing the job up can create. So, I was wondering if that’s something I can do alone, considering that I’ve done a lot of other stuff before.

Any additional help would also be greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Timing Chain Stretch and Tensioner?-right-cam.jpg   Timing Chain Stretch and Tensioner?-left-cam.jpg   Timing Chain Stretch and Tensioner?-crank-shaft.jpg