View Single Post
Old 01-28-2015, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnman View Post
First off 1993 S600, engine only - no car.
I have been searching the internet high and low to find this information but it seems to be a great mystery somehow. The CMP (Camshaft Position Sensor) on the Mercedes M120 is apparently a hall effect sensor, but I need to know what sort of signal generator it uses.From what I can tell without dismantling anything it runs off of the distributor's "intermediate" gear, but I don't know how. Is it a single tooth, a missing tooth, a 50/50 wheel, or something else?
Anyone ever been this far into one of these to find out? Are they different on the later units, I know they changed the sensor slightly and perhaps (like the flex plate) they changed the tooth count as well?
Thanks in advance,
Chris
Lm:

Is the pickup (sensor), be it either inductive or Hall Effect, mounted externally? If so, can you remove it for examination? If it is mounted internally, it would seem that you are left with wire count, and if it is inductive, a check of continuity. Failing the above, disassembly would apparently be in order. The engine, as with many others, may very well use two pickups; one for engine speed and ignition triggering, and a second for injection synchronizing. The first is often from a crank speed source, i.e., flywheel, and the second from a half-speed source, i.e., camshaft or dist. drive.

All that said, it would seem that you will need to see the components to answer your basic question: What is the nature of the triggering wheel/device ("signal generator")?