View Single Post
Old 02-12-2003, 01:50 PM

Engine and Transmission question

My friend and I got into a discussion (read arguement) last night about engines and transmissions while playing Gran Turismo. He says he knows a lot about cars and says that when you let off the gas, the fuel injectors stop spraying fuel into the combustion chamber. He also says the same for when the transmission shifts. I know this is false for manual transmissions because when you depress the clutch, it disengages that from the flywheel which is what makes the transmission spin. I know from experience that when you depress the clutch, you can rev as high as you want which wouldnt be possible if the fuel injectors stoppped working while the clutch was depressed. I was also under the understanding that an automatic worked the same way except that the clutch separation was automatic as the name implies. My main question is this, do the fuel injectors stop spryaing fuel into the combustion chamber when you let of the gas or shift (manual or automatic)? It just seems like the ingine would stop turning if there was no combustion to send the pistons back down after compression. Maybe the fuel injectors spray less fuel but they do not shut off completely or your car would die each time you stopped at a stop light and let go of the gas pedal like most people do.
Thanks
brockley
Euro Headlights
Smoked Corners
Smoked red/clear tail lights

1987 300e Black Metallic (mom's car)
8 hole 15" wheels (C Class)
Clear Corners
Red/Smoked tail lights