View Single Post
Old 02-05-2015, 06:16 AM

1971 Mercedes W108 280SE conversion to diesel daily driver

Hello!
I have been posting updates on this build on some other forums and thought that some of the readers here might be interested.

Progress is already advanced, but here's how it started:

Legislation in Ireland means that any car older than 1980 is exempt from the NCT or National Car Test.
Road tax is at a fixed rate of 56 Euro per year for vehicles more than 30 years old.

I have been hatching a plan for quite some time to take advantage of both of these exemptions. I currently drive a 2.0L diesel Mercedes 190. It costs me more than 700Euro per year in road tax, so you can see my motivation! Yesterday, I purchased a 280SE with a 3.5L V8 engine first registered in 1971. My plan was to replace the engine with a 2.5L normally aspirated diesel and the auto box with a manual one. I drive just over 300 miles a week and, once I find an engine & gearbox, I hope to do it in the 280SE!

Currently there is quite a long list of to-dos, but very few which are essential to forward motion:
Rust bubbles on almost every panel (seems to have been painted relatively recently with poor prep.
Indicator stalk doesn't stay in position when switched on.
Some lights/indicators not working.
No heater or blower.
engine and gearbox swap
Front windscreeen delaminating quite badly
very bad wind noise, I think due to poor window and door seals.
Sunroof which tilts but doesn't slide.
Non functioning and partially functioning electric windows.
Lots of missing wooden trim from the interior.

It drives beautifully, I love it already from that respect. It was quite dull getting into my 190 having driven the new one home.