View Single Post
Old 02-06-2015, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAVBMW View Post
What part is it exactly that isn't legal? Warming up a car, or leaving it running unattended? One of those I can see being easily defeated in court ie; the defroster on most vehicles is provided with warm air from the heater core, and as such, needs the engine to run for long enough to build sufficient heat in order to clear the windshield to allow for the safe operation of the vehicle. The other aspect, leaving the vehicle unattended, not so much. I'm thinking the basics here are going to be you need to be inside the vehicle, at the controls during the warm up period. If that's the case, I agree.

MV
From doing a little looking, it appears the illegal part is leaving the car running unattended with the key in the ignition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmash View Post
I like the idea of the law. I could care less if the persons car gets stolen. They are the idiot for leaving their car running unattended. I have read countless articles that have said warming up the car is pretty useless. Drive it lightly and it will warm up much faster and not pollute the air while it is just sitting there. My 190 gets the water temp to 90C in about 2 miles of casual driving. It's 4 miles to the freeway and I am nice and toasty. In summer it warms up even quicker.

I hope the cops have a field day with it.
I don't like the idea of the law. If I want to take a chance on having someone steal my car I should be able to.

Also, not everyone lives in Texas. In cold weather, simply breathing can rapidly fog a windshield. This is easily cured with the defrost function, but that only works after the coolant starts getting somewhat warm. A few minutes at idle helps with that.

83 300D Turbo with manual conversion, early W126 vented front rotors and H4 headlights 400,xxx miles
08 Suzuki GSX-R600 M4 Slip-on 22,xxx miles
88 Jaguar XJS V12 94,xxx miles. Work in progress.