View Single Post
Old 02-12-2015, 08:53 PM
Formerly of Car Hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by strelnik View Post
Has anyone used any kind of chemical emulsifiers to facilitate the blend?
I don't think emulsifying is desirable. Emulsfiers (like soaps) react with polar (like water, alcohols) and non-polar (gas, oil, diesel, acetone) molecules to make them miscible with eachother (Thank you Dr. A. Rauf Imam). The big bugaboos of the Frybrid crowd, (now the frybrid diaspora) were - Oxidation/poly(debatable), filter (<5 micron) and getting the oil dry, getting it so the demon emulsified water with free fatty acids would be gone. Neat means- frybrid still, cold and hot upflow and myths (let it set in the sun) and tests - scinitllation, aka 'hot pan' or 'crackle' (it better not) were devised or borrowed from the biodiesel world (packed column, mist washing) to do this.

Does 'wet' oil (with no visible sign of water at pumping temperature, pressure) objectively cavitate and mess up the injector pump (this is supposed to be a source of damage in hydraulic equpment)? Does it objectively foul or corrode the steel of an injector or injector pump? IDK, I haven't seen the damage. I just followed the end of the argument that seemed right.

But, I filter to 5 micron, and dry. Works fine.

My outcomes:

Smiles at the diner.

OM616 #1. Franken 616, came with the car and 2 tank system. Ran well on VO, burned huge amounts of oil from the day I got it, I put up with it for years. (my hypothesis- fouled oil rings due to single tanking) Started reliably with glow plugs down to ~10F. ~30mpg. ~20-30k on grease.

OM616 #2. From an 85 Euro that was parted out. Good power on grease, loves a heavy foot. Faster than I feared to go on either fuel (80-85 on level, no problem) ~28mpg on D2. Good starts on glow down to 20s or teens, buggered the suspension prior to present cold snaps. ~8k so far on grease.

All things are burning, know this and be released.

82 Benz 240 D, Kuan Yin
12 Ford Escape 4wd

You're four times
It's hard to
more likely to
concentrate on
have an accident
two things
when you're on
at the same time.
a cell phone.

www.kiva.org It's not like there's anything wrong with feeling good, is there?

Last edited by moon161; 02-12-2015 at 10:05 PM.