View Single Post
Old 02-15-2015, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferdman View Post
86560SEL, as far as I know the tensioner on your vintage engine requires a manual adjustment, as porkface states. If somehow there is an automatic tensioner on your engine I am not sure how your mechanic could possibly add tension. That doesn't make any sense. Does your mechanic work exclusively on MB and BMW vehicles, or does he work on any brand vehicle?

When adjusting the manual tensioner it's necessary to loosen the center bolt on the tensioner 1/2 turn or so; otherwise, you will destroy the tensioner when turning the adjustment rod. If your mechanic was unaware of that step, he likely destroyed the tensioner and you will need a new one.
He usually works on all makes and models, but works on a lot of Mercedes and BMW's. He brought up the conversation to me when I was talking to him about the noise, he said your (my) car has an unusually seen set up with an automatic tensioner... he could be wrong though. I have no idea. Lord knows I know nothing about them. Well I hope he has no destroyed anything, especially if it requires tearing down the front of the engine again. I hope just once it is nothing too serious. Have not been able to catch a break here lately. We are already over $400 in a new water pump... I hate to spend another $400.

Thanks.