Thread: Which to keep
View Single Post
Old 02-18-2015, 10:11 AM
dieselarchitect

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimFreeh View Post
..given your current situation you are married and live in a mechanic unfriendly environment. I assume you are still employed full time...

Here's a thought.

Sell all the old MBs. Keep the truck.

Your description of the cars tells me that none of them are in good condition. Really, be honest. You may love them like a stray puppy, but these cars all need tons of money and time to bring up to spec. Time which you will have to value at zero $ to make any argument about spending it on the cars, and money you will sink into cars without hope of recovery.

Given your living constraints, sell all three of them and with your accumulated funds, buy ONE really decent MB diesel. You know the kind, one you can actually drive and not have to but a ton of money into repairs and cosmetics immediately.

You free up an unbelievable amount of time, space, and money that you are now spending on three needy cars.

You can buy a very decent W123 or W124 sedan for a lot less than you would spend bring even one car up to speed. Sell your current cars for whatever the market is, and roll that money and some extra into one nice car.

You can still fool around with it, accessorize it, and you now have space for another hobby car, when the opportunity comes around.

You'll be amazed how much weight is lifted off your shoulders when you make the transition.

Jim
This is good advice. I am on the cusp of doing the same with my old benzos and getting something like that late model CDI Jim has.
[SIGPIC] Diesel loving autocrossing grandpa Architect. 08 Dodge 3/4 ton with Cummins & six speed; I have had about 35 benzes. I have a 39 Studebaker Coupe Express pickup in which I have had installed a 617 turbo and a five speed manual.[SIGPIC]

..I also have a 427 Cobra replica with an aluminum chassis.