View Single Post
Old 02-13-2003, 05:37 PM

sbourg:
This will be my last post on this subject and I will yield the last word to you if you so choose, for you can lead a horse to water but... I want to make a few things clear: 1) My initial post to royaiii was not to suggest that his engine warming up was causing his problem, but I was trying to point him in the direction of heat so he may find a dragging brake himself. (teach a man to fish vs. give a man a fish) When he didn't, I gave it to him in the followup post. 2) Your quote " You claim the phenomenon the original poster reported is possibly caused by expanding brake fluid in a normally functioning brake system" is inaccurate. My assertion the whole time is that he probably has a dragging brake, which is common after new pads are installed. 3) Your quote "bjcsc, to apply the gas law to a system comprised of a liquid and gas at equilibrium is just incorrect" could not be more in error. The second equation I gave you (after stating 'if you really want to be picky - and you do) was Van der Waals' equation. It does just that and he won the Nobel Prize for the development almost a century ago. See the excerpt below and the link for a graphic. If you could prove your statement, you might very well be in contention for your own Nobel prize as it would change the face of modern physics. 4) Your statement "It is specifically designed to NOT do exactly what you claim, and outside of steep mountain descents or road racing, any shift in level at the master cylinder should be unrelated to this", I agree with. It is precisely why I asked him how his rotors were destroyed in the first place (could be his driving or his conditions, he may very well live on some mountaintop somewhere) and finally 5) Your quote "Caps lock on is shouting, occasional capitalization is emphasis only in text messaging. But, I can't alter how you elect to interpret it" If this is the case, what is the purpose of bold text? Caps = shouting on any of the many forums I visit and bold = emphasis. I don't interpret it this way, it's often in the forum information pages. I believe your intention was clear especially when your use of caps is viewed in the context of your post.

VAN DER WAALS, JOHANNES DIDERIK (1837 - 1923). Over de Continuiteit van den Gas- en Vloeistoftoestand. Leiden, 1873.

In 1873, van der Waals obtained his doctor's degree for a thesis entitled Over de Continuiteit van den Gas- en Vloeistoftoestand (on the continuity of the gas and liquid state), which put him at once in the foremost rank of physicists. In this thesis, he put forward an "Equation of State" embracing both the gaseous and liquid state; he could demonstrate that these two states of aggregation not only merge into each other in a continuous manner, but that they are in fact of the same nature. This equation of state was a dramatic improvement over the ideal gas law. It was van der Waals' genius that made him see the necessity of taking into account the volumes of molecules and the intermolecular forces ("van der Waals forces", as they are now generally called) in establishing the relationship between the pressure, volume, and temperature of gases and liquids. This copy of Over de Continuiteit is open to the chapter where van der Waal's equation of state, ( P + a/V2 )( V - b ) = RT, is first derived. Van der Waals won the Nobel Prize for this work in 1910.

Partington IV, pp638-640; Nobel Lectures, Physics, 1901-1921.

Van de Waals' Equation Graphic

bjcsc
B.S. Molecular Biology 1992
B.S. Physics 1992